Documentation Required *MUST BE ORIGINALS

Birth Certificate or passport
Birth Certificate or passport; Decree Absolute (divorce papers)
Birth Certificate or passport, and Death Certificate of spouse

Birth Certificate:

If born overseas and your birth certificate, passport and other relevant records have been misplaced or destroyed you can, in some circumstances, overcome this by completing a Statutory Declaration. I can prepare this for you. However, if it is possible to obtain a new birth certificate or passport from your country, this must be done. If you are Australian-born you must produce an original birth certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages or an original passport. The passport can be Australian or an overseas passport

Age Requirements:

The marriageable age in Australia is 18 years. In exceptional circumstances, if you are over 16 and under 18 years of age, you can apply for a Court order to marry, and parental consent is also required.

Notice of Intended Marriage:

A “Notice of Intended Marriage” form is required to be completed and lodged with your celebrant at least one month prior to the wedding date, and no more than eighteen months prior to the wedding date.

If you are overseas I can email you this Notice of Intended Marriage form, giving instructions on how to have it completed and signed by the relevant parties. Once this is done, you can scan and email to me in Australia. The day I receive the scanned copy of your Notice, is the “lodgement date” – this makes it very easy to lodge your Notice in plenty of time.

If you wish, you can obtain a “Notice of Intended Marriage” form from an Australian Embassy, Australian High Commission or on-line at Notice Of Intended Marriage Form Australia.

Please note: Documents in a foreign language, must be translated into English by an accredited authority, such as the National Authority Accreditation of Translators Interpreters ( Naati) (Aust)